Free Instant Case Review Over Phone - 1300 720 544


Workplace Injuries and Compensation FAQS

East Coast Injury Lawyers can provide you and your family with valuable legal advice if:

  • You have been injured at work and want to know if you are able to claim compensation.
  • Your existing workers compensation claim has been rejected or has been stopped.
  • You have received an offer for lump sum compensation and you do not know if it is in your best interest to accept it.

Do I have a claim?

You may have a claim if you are an employee injured in a workplace accident or work-related accident.

It doesn’t matter whether you are a casual, permanent, full-time or part-time worker.

If you are self-employed or are a sub-contractor, you may be covered by WorkCover if your role in the organization is similar to a regular employee.

You can still make a claim even if the accident occurred during working hours such as on a lunch break.

You may also have a claim if you were traveling as part of your work duties.

What kind of injuries can I claim?

There are many different injuries that can arise in the course of employment. These injuries can be debilitating, such as repetitive strain injuries, or they can be potentially catastrophic such as brain and spinal injuries.

A workers injury can also be psychiatric such as a worker witnessing a traumatic event at work such as a fatality. Other psychiatric injuries can arise from issues such as stress, bullying or even harassment.

What kind of compensation can I receive?

You can claim compensation for medical expenses, as well as lost earnings. If the employer is also found to be negligent in causing your injuries you can claim for damages including pain and suffering, future lost income and future medical expenses.

When should I accept a lump sum offer from WorkCover?

The main concern about accepting a lump sum payment in return for closing your claim is whether or not the amount may adequately compensate you through the long term effects from your injuries. Once you accept a lump sum offer from WorkCover, you are usually abandoning your legal right to claim any further compensation for damages.

It is important that you speak to an accredited specialist in personal injury to be informed of your rights before you accept any form of lump sum payment.

What are the time limits?

Generally, you have 3 years from the date of the accident to file a workers compensation claim in court. There may be certain circumstances however where the period may be shorter so it is important to speak with an accredited specialist in personal injury.

Will I get in trouble with my employer if I file a claim? Who pays for the compensation and damages?

Employers are required by law to carry workers compensation insurance. The employer is not responsible for paying the compensation amount.

Workers may become intimidated or worried that their employer may adversely treat them differently if they file a claim. That is why it is important to take advantage of a free consultation with an accredited specialist in personal injury to be properly informed of your rights.

Delaying your claim may critically affect your ability to exercise your legal rights to compensation and damages. Do not delay in finding a firm that can provide you with the necessary information to make an informed decision.

How long will a claim take?

Most workers compensation claims may take over a year to resolve. However, an exact timeline from lodging a claim to the settlement stage is a difficult timeline to predict. Every client’s situation has their own unique circumstances. Thus, it is important to speak with an accredited specialist in personal injury to be informed of how the law applies to your particular case.

How much will I have to pay to make a workplace injury claim?

East Coast Injury Lawyers operates on a no win, no fee basis, which means that you do not have to pay if you do not receive any payment.

How Can I Contact Your Firm?

Feel free to contact our Brisbane Personal Injury Lawyers by phone at 1300 720 544 or email at